Chimichangas: An Authentic Mexican Cuisine
It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t love Mexican food. From tacos to ceviche and now chimichangas, Mexican dishes never fail to bring joy to any dinner table. The reason behind this is due to its fresh ingredients, ample flavors, and the perfect blending of spices that bring out the best in any dish. One of the tastiest comidas to come out of Mexican cuisine is the glorious chimichanga. A chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito, filled with tasty vegetables and proteins, and served with a selection of sauces or salsas. Now, you can take your chimichanga experience to another level with the most creative recipe—the spicy Mexican chimichanga with avocado cream.
Origin of Chimichanga
Chimichanga finds its roots buried deep in Mexican culture. Depending on which culinary historian you ask, chimichanga is believed to have originated in Mexico and then moved north to Arizona parts of the US. The most fascinating story behind the birth of chimichangas is the accidental one, where a woman created this delicious dish when she dropped a burrito into a pan of frying oil. Whether it is an oops moment or a stroke of genius that created chimichanga, it has become a staple in the Mexican cuisine.
Spicy Mexican Chimichanga with Avocado Cream
This special recipe combines the spicy flavors of Mexican cuisine with the creaminess of avocados to form an amazing flavor that can’t be overlooked. With its unique combination of spices, proteins, and vegetables, this dish is sure to be the star on any dinner table. Let’s get started on this recipe and bring some authentic Mexican cuisine to your home!
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced finely
- 2 tablespoons of cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 cup of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 10-12 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup of cooking oil, for frying
- 2 avocados, diced finely for garnishing
- 1 cup of sour cream, for garnishing
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, onion, jalapeno pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic, oregano, and cheese. Mix it until all the ingredients are evenly distributed
- Using a spoon, spoon some of the mixture onto each of the tortillas and fold the sides of the tortillas to create the shape of a burrito. Make sure the filling is not spilling out of the sides of the burrito.
- Heat up the cooking oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the chimichangas and fry them until they are golden-brown and crispy, turning them over once to ensure they are cooked on both sides.
- Once the chimichangas are cooked, place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb the extra oil. Once all the chimichangas are fried, garnish with diced avocados, a dollop of sour cream, and serve!
The Perfect Twists-Adding Your Own Flavors
Chimichangas are incredibly versatile dishes and can be filled with all kinds of proteins, vegetables, and spices or even served with different sauces. If you are looking for a lighter version, use whole-wheat tortillas instead of flour ones and use low-fat cheese and sour cream. For a vegetarian version, leave out the chicken and add more of your favorite vegetables. If you want to make it spicier, omit the jalapeno pepper and increase the amount of chili powder and cumin. For a different flavor, try using black beans instead of chicken and serve it with a side of guacamole.
Chimichangas are a classic Mexican dish that can be enjoyed in its many forms. Whether you enjoy the classic ones made with chicken, spicy ones with chili powder, or vegetarian ones with black beans, you can be sure that these deep-fried burritos will always have a place at the dinner table. If you are looking for an extra-special kick, try the spicy Mexican chimichanga with avocado cream. Combining the flavors of Mexican cuisine with the creaminess of avocados, this recipe will surely be a hit among the family. So don’t wait any longer and make this amazing dish today!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?